Payasam is one of the unavoidable desserts of the South Indians, especially for Onam. I wanted a change from the usual traditional preparation with vermicelli, rice etc. Hence I gave a try with cereal ;) It came out perfect and yummy too!! I'm sure you are also gonna love this quick & simple dessert :) Hope all the Keralites had a great Onam with the fun celebrations and tasty Sadya :) Wishing everybody a very HAPPY ONAM !!
Total Time....1 hr 15 min (Prep - 5 min, Cook- 10 min, Inactive-1 hour)
Yield..............3 to 4 servings
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Cashewnuts
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- Take a pan, pour ghee & fry cashewnut and raisins slightly.
- Add the cereal, sugar and saute for 5 min.
- Pour milk and stir. Then add vanilla essence and nutmeg powder. Stir for 5 min so that everything mixes well.
- Allow it to cool and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour. If its too thick, mix more chilled milk & stir well before serving.