|Traditional fish recipe of Kerala prepared in very spicy & tangy gravy.|
Total Time......30 min (Prep - 15 min, Cook-15 min)
Yield...............3 to 4 servings
- Fish pieces (3 Tilapia fillets used in this recipe)
- 3 or 4 Gambooge (Kudampuli) pieces
- 8 to 10 Shallots (small onion)
- 4 tsp finely chopped Ginger and Garlic
- 2 1/2 tsp Red Chilly powder **
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 strands Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Soak gambooge pieces in 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Clean fish thoroughly, cut into pieces and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and pour oil. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. After it splutters, add fenugreek seeds.
- Then add chopped shallots, ginger, garlic and few curry leaves. Saute till the shallots turn golden brown.
- Make a paste of chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder using oil. Reduce flame and saute for 3 to 4 min. (Make sure it doesn't burn)
- Add 2 cups water, fish pieces, soaked gambooge with the filtered water(to avoid the sediments), remaining curry leaves and salt.
- Close with a lid and cook for 10 min to 15 min or until the fish is cooked & gravy slightly thickens. Serve with cooked tapioca, rice etc.