Traditional South Indian (Kerala) snack, prepared mainly with rice flour and bananas.
Total Time......5 hrs 40 min (Prep - 10 min, Cook- 30 min, Inactive-5 hrs)
Yield...............25 to 30 Unniyappams
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour(Maida)
- 3/4 cup melted Jaggery
- 2 over ripe Bananas
- 2 to 3 tbsp dry Coconut pieces
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Fry coconut pieces in ghee and keep aside.
- Strain melted jaggery and allow it to cool. (Melt jaggery chunk with 1 cup of water).
- Mash bananas thoroughly. Mix with rice flour, melted jaggery, maida and salt.
- Add cardamom powder, sesame seeds, fried coconut pieces and water (if needed) for perfect consistency(similar to idli batter).
- Keep aside the batter for 5 to 6 hours.
- Heat oil in an unniyappam pan. When oil is really hot, reduce the flame to medium and pour batter in each holes. Fry both sides till a golden brown colour is obtained.
- Place fried unniyappams on tissue so that excess oil is absorbed. Serve hot!